Christopher Legoe Chambers was formed in 1994 by Michael David QC, Ann Vanstone QC (both now Justices of the Supreme Court) and Ian Sampson. The Chambers were originally situated in Angas Street and from 2004 to 2013 Christopher Legoe Chambers was located in Gouger Street overlooking China Town. In July 2013, Legoe Chambers moved to its current location at Carrington House.
The Chambers are named after the first barrister to practice at the independent bar in South Australia, The Honourable Christopher Legoe QC AO.
Christopher Legoe QC AO
Mr Legoe elected to practice as a barrister in 1955 and was a founding member of the Bar Association. The organisation led to the establishment of the Bar in South Australia in 1964. Mr Legoe was the president of the Australian Bar Association in 1973/4. Mr Legoe was also an Adelaide University lecturer from 1958 to 1962 and set up its mooting program. Mr Legoe served as a justice of the Supreme Court from 1978 to 1994, including a period as acting Chief Justice, and returned to the Bench briefly in 1995. His other passions have included preservation of the Carrick Hill site and the Coorong. In 2010, he donated 16 hectares of land at Salt Creek which enabled the linking of the northern and southern section of the Coorong National Park. Mr Legoe has also served as Chair on the Collingrove Committee of the National Trust and Royal Adelaide Hospital Committees. He also donates and contributes to the Barr Smith Library, Elder Conservatorium of Music and the Art Gallery of SA Foundation.
Mr Legoe was awarded an Order of Australia in 2015 for distinguished service to the law and to the judiciary, to the development of professional standards and legal education, and to historical, artistic and environmental conservation groups.